We are happy to announce the names of the winners of the third CEFRES Platform Award for best article in social sciences and humanities in an international peer-reviewed journal (see the cfa here):
- Václav Janeček (Charles University and Oxford University), for his article “Ownership of personal data in the Internet of Things.”
The third Derrida Social and Human Sciences Prizes rewarded three PhD students:
- Lucie Drechselová (Oriental Institute of the Czech Academy of Sciences in Prague): Women and local power: processes of mobilization and female political pathways in Turkey
- Vojtěch Kaše (Faculty of Arts of Masaryk University in Brno): Tracing the Origins of Eucharistic Magic : On the Role of Cognitive Attraction in the Cultural Transmission of Collective Rituals
- Ľudmila Lacková (Faculty of Arts, Palacký University in Olomouc): Linguistic Approach to Protein Folding. Towards a Semiotic Description of Living Systems
The award ceremony took place on 26 June 2019 at the National Theatre in Prague in the presence of the Ambassador Roland Galharague and one Nobel Prize laureate: Jean-Marie Lehn. The prizes were supported by Mgr. Karel Janeček, PhD., MBA.
This year, the French Research Center in Humanities and Social Sciences in Prague (CEFRES, USR CNRS 3138), CNRS, and the Czech Academy of Sciences (AV ČR) are launching the second call for applications for the “TANDEM” incubator program. “TANDEM” is a program of the CEFRES Platform and endeavors to excellency in social sciences and humanities.
The aim of the TANDEM program is to associate two researchers, one from the AV ČR, one from the CNRS (French National Research Center), around a joint research project leading to the submission of an ERC project (Synergy grant, but also Starting, Consolidator, or Advanced grant).
Continue reading CFA: TANDEM Program, CNRS / AV ČR, 2020-2022
for Best Article (published in English or in French) in Social Sciences and Humanities
Deadline for applications: 26 April 2019
Prize Amount: 213 CZK (i.e. 9.261 CZK)
Official Award Ceremony: 26 June 2019
Language of application: English
This award is included within the Jacques Derrida Award organized by the French Embassy in the Czech Republic and Mgr. Karel Janeček, PhD., MBA, which rewards the best PhD research work in social sciences and humanities in the Czech Republic.
Born from the desire to support young researchers from the Czech Republic who endeavour to embed their research within the European and international networks, this initiative from the CEFRES Platform aims to award an article in social sciences and humanities published in a high-level peer-reviewed academic journal.
Since 2014, CEFRES Platform gathers the French Research Center in Social Sciences in Prague, the Czech Academy of Sciences and Charles University in Prague.
Young researchers from all disciplines in social sciences and humanities from the Czech Republic may apply to the CEFRES Platform special award, whatever the topic of their research may be. Applications must be sent directly by young researchers themselves to the following address: email@example.com
- to be a Czech or Slovak PhD student or doctor who defended the PhD thesis at the earliest in 2011 in a university of the Czech Republic (so-called “cotutelle” PhDs are eligible)
- to submit to the award competition an article in English or in French published in a peer-reviewed academic journal recognized by such databases as Web of Science, Scopus, or by the European Reference Index for the Humanities and Social Sciences (ERIH plus)
- to have published the afore mentioned article between 2016 and 2019 (articles accepted for publication will be excluded, the award being renewed yearly)
- to submit one article only: applications including two or more articles will be excluded from the competition
The following information completed:
- Name and Surname:
- Date and place of birth:
- Personal email:
- Personal phone number:
- Personal address:
- Professional email:
- Professional phone number:
- Professional address:
- Subject of Thesis:
- Date of (past or forthcoming) defence:
- Year and Faculty of registration:
- PhD supervisor(s):
The application should also include:
- An academic curriculum vitae, including a list of publications
- An off-print of the submitted article for the Prize. NB: only one article will be considered; applications including two articles will be excluded
- The complete bibliographical references and a short summary of the submitted article in English or French. Please specify which database mentions the journal (Web of Science, Scopus, or ERIH plus)
- A letter explaining the originality and prospects of the research involved in the article
An interdisciplinary jury presided over by the director of CEFRES and representatives from the CEFRES Platform will select the laureate. The laureate will be notified by 14 June 2019 and will have to be available for the award ceremony.
Supported by Mgr. Karel Janeček, MBA, PhD., the award will be given at the Pantheon of the National Museum (Prague) on 26 June 2019 along with the other scientific awards of the French Embassy.
To apply to the Jacques Derrida Award, see the conditions here!
We are happy to announce the names of the winners of the second CEFRES Platform Award for best article in social sciences and humanities in an international peer-reviewed journal (see the cfa here):
- Michal Sipos (Institute of Ethnology AV ČR), for his article “Informal practices and the street-level construction of migrant deportability: Chechen refugees and local authorities in Polish accommodation centres for asylum seekers”
The second Derrida Social and Human Sciences Prizes rewarded three PhD students:
- Josef Wilczek (Faculty of Philosophy of Masaryk University): New approaches for the acquisition, systematisation and interpretation of archaeological artefacts
- Radek Janhuba (Faculty of Social Sciences UK, CERGE-EI AV ČR): Essays on Sports Economics
- Jana Fabová (Faculty of Philosophy of Palacký University): Language varieties based on Italian language and their use in Nova Trento and Nova Veneza in Brazil
The award ceremony took place on 20 June 2018 at the French Embassy in Prague in the presence of the Ambassador Roland Galharague and three Nobel Prize laureates: Jean-Marie Lehn, Jean-Pierre Sauvage and Serge Haroche. The prizes were supported by Mgr. Karel Janeček, PhD., MBA.
We are happy to announce the names of the winners of the first CEFRES Platform Award for best article in social sciences and humanities in an international peer-reviewed journal (see the cfa here):
- Slavomíra Ferenčuhová (FSS MUNI Brno – sociology), for her article “Accounts from Behind the Curtains: History and Geography in the Critical Analysis of Urban Theory”, published in International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, 2016/40 (1): 113-131
- Filip Herza (FHS UK Prague – historical anthropology), for his article “Anthropologists And Their Monsters: Ethnicity, Body, And Ab/normality in Early Czech Anthropology”, published in East Central Europe, Leiden/Brill, 2016/43(1-2): 64-98
- Tomáš Jirsa (FF UPOL Olomouc – literary theory), for his article “Reading Kafka Visually: Gothic Ornament and the Motion of Writing in Kafka’s Der Proceß”, published in Central Europe, 2015/13(1-2): 36-50.
The first Derrida Social and Human Sciences Prizes rewarded the PhD research on cities of:
- Jana Kočková (FSS MUNI Brno – sociology): The transformation of the post-socialist large housing estate: comparative study
- Václav Walach (FSS MUNI Brno – political science): The Meaning of Security in a Socially Excluded Locality
The award ceremony took place on 16 June 2017 at the French Embassy in Prague in the presence of H. E. Roland Galharague and Nobel Prize Jean-Marie Lehn. The prizes were supported by Mgr. Karel Janeček, PhD., MBA.
The Czech Academy of Sciences (AV ČR) and CEFRES/CNRS are launching this year a new research program called TANDEM based on the CEFRES Platform’s cooperation and endeavor to excellency in social and human sciences.
The aim of the TANDEM program is to associate two researchers, one from the AV ČR, one from the CNRS (French National Research Center) around a joint research project leading to the submission of an ERC project (starting, consolidator, advanced…).
The first TANDEM team will start its work from February 2018 for 2 years. It will be based at CEFRES. ERC projects can be submitted once per year during the appointment of the team at CEFRES.
Continue reading CfA: AV ČR – CNRS TANDEM Program 2018-2020